Sunday, April 29, 2018

The time I had my wisdom teeth removed

When my dentist told me I needed to get my wisdom teeth removed, I was scared. I don’t like going to the dentist for one. The metal tools scraping on my teeth and having someone’s fingers shoved in my mouth, I’m not a fan one bit. I have a terrible gag reflex, so the dentist and I do not get on too well. I do not even want to get into the conversation I had regarding the need for braces. Getting wisdom teeth removed is kind of complicated, but the good thing is that there are people out there who specialize in doing stuff like this. 


As I said, the process of winsome teeth extraction is kind of a complicated procedure. First, the dentist needs to discuss with you how you want to be numbed. You can either get a shot in the wisdom teeth area, or you can be put under general anesthesia or be put to sleep in more simple terms. I chose to be put under general anesthesia. As I mentioned, I do not like the dentist, so this was the best choice I had. Once that choice has been made, you will receive your shot or be put under, and the procedure can begin. They will make a small incision in the wisdom teeth area to expose the teeth. Then the surgeon will cut the teeth to be easily extracted. They will then remove the teeth in sections, and gauze will be applied, and that’s really all there is to it. 


The morning of my procedure, my mom drove me to the dental office where my procedure was going to be done. When we got there, I had to sit in the waiting room and fill out some paperwork. Once that was done, I got called back for my procedure to take place. I was seated in the standard dental chair where the nurses came to get me ready for it. They told me I had to count down from ten to one after placing a needle in my left arm. I began counting, and by seven, I was out. When I woke up, it seemed like a second had passed; I was very loopy at this point. I remember telling them it was like a sword coming out of my arm. 

The healing process was just a time based thing; they gave me antibiotics; if I wanted them, I could take them. I did not ever feel a need for them. I had gauze placed over my wounds after the procedure was done and was told to keep pressure on them. I had to keep biting down so a blood clot would form; this was part of the healing process. After my procedure, I got a smoothie, and that was helpful. The cold felt nice in my mouth, ease the slight pain I felt.


In the end, getting my wisdom teeth removed was not as bad as I thought it would be. I am glad I had the opportunity to be put under general anesthesia, not to feel the pain or consciously knowing I have someone’s fingers in my mouth. The healing process was relatively quick, and I did not feel too much pain. I did feel the scars after a week or so, and I could not stop feeling them; it was an odd feeling. I am glad to have gotten the procedure done as I do not have to worry about the pain that would come if I did not have this procedure done. That pain being headaches and jaw pains. 


No comments:

Post a Comment